This recipe for banana almond pancakes uses just a few simple Paleo/Primal ingredients to make a dense and rich Paleo pancake.
Banana Almond Pancakes
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed (slightly overripe is best);
- 2 eggs;
- 4 tbsp almond butter
- butter, ghee, or coconut oil for cooking;
- Optional: real maple syrup, fresh berries;
- Combine mashed bananas in a mixing bowl with eggs and mix well. Add the almond butter and mix well again.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat (a 10″ cast iron skillet works very well). Melt in some butter or coconut oil (I prefer coconut oil).
- Once hot, pour a small amount of almond-banana batter into the skillet. Note: I have found that making a small 3-to-4 inch diameter pancake works best for this recipe. Cook until the edges become firm enough to allow you to flip the pancake. Flip and cook until bottom is brown. Store pancakes in a warming drawer or 200F oven until you are ready to serve.
Paleo Pancake Breakfast… or Desert
As I mentioned before, these pancakes are quite rich. I prefer to top them with fresh raspberries (like my photos), but any fresh berry is a great complement to the heartiness of these pancakes. I also like a drizzle of real maple syrup, but this may be a bit too much sweetness for some.
The almond banana pancakes also make a great decadent dessert. Smother a couple of pancakes with a mixture of berries, or serve with a scoop of Paleo coconut ice cream for a nice ala mode desert. Enjoy!
Source: The Paleo Recipe Book by Sebastian Noel