I miss Grape-Nuts. Yep, I’ll admit that cold grain breakfast cereal doused in milk and topped with bananas or raspberries is one thing I truly miss before Paleo. I’m sure you have seen other (more nebulous) Paleo breakfast cereal recipes before, but what follows is my recipe which replicates Post Grape-Nuts breakfast cereal as closely as possible while still being completely Paleo.
Paleo Breakfast Cereal (Paleo Grape-Nuts)
Serves 1 (makes 1/2 cup before milk, multiply by factor of your choice for more)
- 1/4 cup (4 parts) chopped Walnuts
- 2 tbsp (2 parts) chopped Almonds
- 1 tbsp (1 part) chopped Macadamias
- 1 tbsp (1 part) chopped Pecans
- Almond milk
- Honey/maple syrup/granulated maple sugar/bananas/berries optional
- Chop walnuts to a course texture in a food processor or nut chopper (insert nut jokes here).
- Chop almonds pecans and macadamia nuts together finer than the walnuts.
- Mix all nuts together and add almond milk in a bowl.
- Add fruit or natural sweeteners to taste.
I chop the walnuts course and keep them separate because I find that they become the nucleus that the other stickier nuts somewhat attach to. The walnuts sort of become the center of a nut cluster. The combined ingredients make a 1/2 cup serving, but I also added the quantities in ‘parts’ so that it’s easy to make in bulk if you are so inclined.
The great thing about this recipe is portability. You can add the almond milk to the cereal then stick the whole thing in the refrigerator for later. The nuts will soften slightly, but over a few hours will not completely lose their crunch. I also find that the sweetness of macadamias is enough to not require any added sweetener, especially when adding fruit. However I would not be adverse to adding maple sugar, honey, or even sugar in the raw (which I am starting to warm up to as a an exceptable semi-Paleo sweetener) to it.
I want to emphasize that my two main motivations were to try to replicate Grape-Nuts cereal and to make this Paleo breakfast as simple and portable as possible. Do yourself a favor and buy some Pyrex travel bowls to store each serving in. You can throw it in a lunch bag and it’s ready to eat at your desk if you are so inclined. For a different experience, you can even heat it up and enjoy it like oat-less oatmeal any time. Enjoy!